Sunday, September 8, 2013

Share This: Part I- Changing Media, Changing PR

In reading  Share This, it brought to my attention how much time and energy is spent on the Internet. Yes, I understand that the numbers maybe outdated but if you simply look around when you are out in public how many people are on their phone. There's a good chance that they are making some kind of update whether it be Twitter talking about what they see around them, posting a picture on Instagram of what they saw, and expressing it in greater detail on Facebook. The feeling of being connected is taking over.

On a personal note, if you are an outsider looking in at the Lewis' family dinner table whether it be at home or at a restaurant there's a good chance 3/4 of us are on our phones. My dad would most likely be on LinkedIn, my little brother on Instagram, and I'm most likely tweeting. That scenario shows that social networks have a widespread audience making connections in some way and that we aren't just connecting from our computers anymore.

For me it brings up the question, "Are we too connected via the Internet to make connections in person?". Share This brings up the stats that 95 million Tweets are sent a day and 57% of people talk more online than they do in real life (pg.4). Then also think about how many people probably uploaded a video, tweeted, or read about Miley Cyrus twerking on the VMA's awhile ago. However, the connections we make and are fond of maybe a necessary evil. For example, my boss from my internship this summer is a friend of mine on Facebook and we are also connected on LinkedIn. That connection can allow me to use her as a resource for a recommendation letter and also let her know if I need tickets for an upcoming football game at Tiffin University.

Share This also takes a look at the fact that it isn't just Facebook, Twitter, and other related sites that are getting people connected. People are blogging about it, making communities and forums to have group discussions.

PR-wise I do agree greatly with how Share This expresses networks can effect practitioners, "Social networks present a complex, but rich landscape of opportunities and risks." (pg.11) I agree because how many celebrities or others in the spotlight wish they wouldn't have posted something or have something posted about them. For example, since the NFL was in full swing today and this past Thursday, I'm sure teams PR and Communications departments were monitoring what players posted to insure they didn't start off on the wrong page.

No comments:

Post a Comment