Sunday, September 15, 2013

One Game Down, Nine Games to Go: ONU Football


2013 ONU Preview (YouTube)

Are you ready for some football? Well, ONU's season is underway and our boys are 1-0 after a blowout win against Alfred State (NY) last week by a score of 55-0. Alfred is a former junior college team making its NCAA Division III debut against our Polar Bears.

I was very ecstatic for this game. The reason being is it means we are one step closer to getting our new turf and just hearing the excitement of our guys in classes, on our way in and out of class, and as I pick up my boyfriend from practice everyday made it contagious. Then even though the team we were playing this past week was not up to par with us, the win seemed to give them a boost of confidence to jump start them into this season.

I guess I was also excited about the game because my boyfriend, Will,  is the starting running back this season. He had 2 touchdowns, 102 yards, and 12 carries at eight and half yards per carry. I am pretty sure the marching band was glad when his teammate went in for him after his second touchdown because I yelled every time he had the ball.

But, I was also a nervous reck on the inside every time he got the ball. I understand this is football, but Will is not the tallest or biggest guy on the field and when he gets hit my heart stops. I told my roommate, that I will not sit down until he gets up after a tackle. Then, the scariest thing happen. Will was one of the guys on the very bottom of the dog pile and knowing what happens in those piles from my neighbor, a former NFL player, never helps. Luckily, he was not     the one hurt. The player responsible for tackling Will, was the guy on the bottom of the pile, and had a season ending injury. Alfred's player, had a severely broken ankle and it dangled as the training staff helped him to the side line. Although, I am glad it was not my football player that was hurt, I would never wish that on anyone.

But with a bye week this weekend, our guys got some rest on Saturday and went right back to work tonight to prepare for next Saturday at Heidelberg. However, the game the guys need all of us at the most is October 5th against Mt. Union.

Hope to see you guys at the next game!
-Kaila

No comments:

Post a Comment