Friday, September 6, 2013

Junior Year, Big Decisions


Flashback Friday ---> Freshman Year

           First two weeks down and 14 left to go this semester! So far it has been an interesting two weeks and it's had some similarities to my past two years already. One major similarity is that a few of my classes have overlapping material as a Sport Management Major with a minor in PR.  So with the similarities hitting me in the face for three years, I'm finally giving into Dr. Fleck's plea of making Public Relations my second major in the next few days. 

            The decision to do so has been a back and forth conversation since I signed up for the minor my freshman year. Although, a double major might not be the easiest thing to do, I know in the end it’ll be beneficial as far as careers go. I mean, yes I do love my sports, but Sport Management alone may not open as many doors as I would like it to. 

          I think me having the second major helps me move more toward what I want to do after graduation. It may not be set in stone yet, but Community Relations is looking really nice right now. I want to change the way some people look at athletes and also get athletes more involved with the community. Think about it, there's a good chance whatever major (or minor) sports teams play in your area are using your families tax dollars go to keeping their place of work open, so I want to ensure they give back to those helping them out. 

        So here's to a new year, new opportunities, and new beginnings! 
                    -Kaila 


4 comments:

  1. I had the exact same feeling when I thought about getting my social media minor. I almost went into having marketing and accounting majors with a social media minor but just decided on the minor. It will help you so much having all of those extra experiences and classes later and I know I won't be kicking myself wondering why I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I would like to say, I love your title- "That One Redhead from Indy." Your title caught my eye! Second, I believe you could pick up that Public Relations major in a heartbeat! Believe in yourself. You can do anything if you just set your mind on the prize. Enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ell, thanks for sharing your story and for the encouragement. I really appreciate it.

    Thanks, Megan for the compliment. I just wanted it to be something entertaining for people as they read their 3 blogs during the week. And thanks for the encouragement as well.

    I'm in the process of getting my paper work filled out and signed to pick up the major. So hopefully it'll all work out because I am starting to get excited about.

    ReplyDelete