Thursday, October 3, 2013

Time Shaker: A New Social Media Site/App


Time Shaker appears to be an online time capsule where users can document family history, events that interest them, or even sports history and schedules. It also allows users to compare their library of photos against the historical library made available through the site.

Personally, outside the use of the historical library I don't really see what is so thrilling about this idea. I looked through a number of the examples and thought back to ways I have already used these ideas elsewhere. For example, They have a football team's "Time View" up and the timeline allows you to click on each game of the schedule with a map and start time. Most school websites give you game times and directions or map for the opposing team when games are away. One of the questions that I had was outside of some elderly people, how often would the map be used. Most of us just need the address so it can be plugged in the GPS of our phones or cars.

I also don't see how the timeline of photos is all that different from Facebook outside the fact that you can match it up with historical events and the format is different. That might only be interesting if you were interested in history and/or interested in seeing what happened historically on important days of your life. I feel like either way you can look that up without a site, although the site can save you time if you knew what you were doing.

However when I asked someone older what they thought about the site he disagreed with me. He said, "I would not have a problem using it to store and portray events that I feel are personally significant. Preserving events and memories electronically would enable me to share them with friends and family for many years."So, as they say everything isn't for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment